Without the wealth of information available on the internet accessible at their fingertips, any kid without internet access would be at a great disadvantage in today’s world. Encyclopedias and dictionaries are practically out of date by the time they’re printed. It would be impossible to build a library big enough to hold the data a child has access to for their homework on the computer. Since the internet is constantly being updated, kids today have the most recent information available all the time.
- Dictionary – New words are popping up every day and online dictionaries are the only way to keep up. Dictionary.com not only makes it easy to look up the meanings and spelling of words, they have word games, words of the day, thesaurus, translator and many other online tools for kids to use.
- Thesaurus – Children who use a thesaurus can greatly improve their vocabulary and writing skills. The online version is much more fun for kids to use and also has daily crosswords to challenge their word skills.
- Encyclopedia – Not only are there several encyclopedia options on the internet, any search engine is practically an encyclopedia in itself. Research for any homework topic imaginable is available at any child’s fingertips instead of those dusty, heavy volumes on the bookshelf.
- Math – I was amazed by how easy it is to access mathematical help on the internet. Math.com is a great source for kids to do their homework. There’s homework help, math games, calculators, tutoring and many other math tools all just a click away.
- Geography – If your child needs help with geography, the internet has a multitude of websites to help them with their homework. Many of them are specifically targeted for kids with interactive games and maps. The world is at their fingertips and any country they want to learn about is only a click away.
- Current events – Any online news website can help kids with current events and some are specifically geared for the younger generation. It would be difficult to get more current than the internet for up to the minute information.
- Online Libraries – Kids who don’t have easy access to a library can go online for books and research to complete their homework assignments. They can download ebooks and journals on sites with a library format.
- History – Of course history is being made very day and the computer can make learning about history much more enjoyable for kids. When they start to do research for their homework assignment, they may find themselves learning about other topics they hadn’t even thought of.
- Research – The internet makes research for homework so much easier for kids. All these online tools give them instant access to any information they need to complete any assignment. This frees up more of their time for doing something fun instead.
- Help for parents – Children are learning far more than most of their parents ever imagined. By the time kids finish grade school, many parents are feeling pretty inadequate to help their kids with their homework. The internet is an invaluable tool for parents to continue being involved with their child’s education.
Of course, parents will want to have close supervision of their kids using the internet for homework. Just because someone posts something online does not make it accurate. Make sure your children are using reliable sources and are aware of biases and misinformation. Bad information is just as easy to access as the good, so be diligent. Parents also want to make sure their kids using the computer to actually do their homework and not just playing computer games or accessing inappropriate websites. The advantages far outweigh the disadvantages, so the internet is an indispensable tool for kids to do their homework and succeed at school.